One cold night, in a most unlikely corner of Chicago, two teens—both named Will Grayson—are about to cross paths. As their worlds collide and intertwine, the Will Graysons find their lives going in new and unexpected directions, building toward romantic turns-of-heart and the epic production of history’s most fabulous high school musical. Hilarious, poignant, and deeply insightful, John Green and David Levithan’s collaborative novel is brimming with a double helping of the heart and humor that have won both them both legions of faithful fans.
Having been making my way through all of John Green’s books the last month, Will Grayson, will grayson was perhaps the one I was most looking forward to. I just love the idea of randomly running into someone with the exact same name as you!

This book is a love story, and though it involves romance – gay and straight! hooray! – it’s a love story about friendship. There are two Will Graysons in this book, but for me it was all about the friendship between “Original Will Grayson” and his best friend, Tiny “Too Fabulous to Sweat” Cooper. I love how Will describes his vision for their future friendship:
I want you to come over to my house in twenty years with your dude and your adopted kids and I want our fucking kids to hang out and I want to, like, drink wine and talk about the Middle East or whatever the fuck we’re gonna want to do when we’re old.
John Green and David Levithan each write from one Will Grayson’s side, and the chapters alternate between the two boys. I loved the mix of their writing styles – so completely different! John Green’s Will Grayson is very similar to his other characters, a kind of awkward, nerdy guy who doesn’t care that much about anything. Then there’s David Levithan’s Will Grayson. He was without question my favorite character. Will is slightly depressive, hangs out with a girl named Maura even if he can’t stand her company most of the time, and the only good thing in his life is coming home to his computer to IM and email with Isaac.

I loved seeing both Wills pushed out of their comfort zone, and after that fabulous ending I have so much hope for both of them!

BONUS: Will Grayson, will grayson introduced me to what is now officially my new favorite curse phrase ever: “fucking witch ass bitch mussolini al-qaeda darth vader non-entity."

Comments